Unbiblical Principles

on

If you wanted to see a Christian movie, you should have seen Is Genesis History?. This movie is wrong on so many levels according to numerous reviews by prominent Christian leaders. While I did not watch the movie, I read extensive reviews about the underlying themes and principles that were presented. With grief, I concluded that this was a gross misrepresentation of the Bible and who God is.

The biggest problem with this movie is the notion that there is no hell and that everyone can get to heaven. Somehow the author believes that the love of God cannot permit people to suffer eternal damnation in hell: essentially that love supersedes justice. This of course completely false and while I do not believe that people who went to see this movie walked out believing that this is the way God works, it is a shame that this was even remotely considered a Christian movie and only leads to the confusion of Christians who maybe aren’t on the strongest biblical ground right now.

The second problem is an extension of the first. If everyone goes to heaven, that means that there are multiple paths. This means that other religious groups get a free ride to heaven. Again, this is ridiculous. There is only one Way and that Way is Jesus Christ.

Thirdly, the author believes that you cannot take the Bible as literal truth. Also, he makes a point that to believe the Bible is true would be to reduce God to nothing but paper. It’s pretty self explanatory that this is outside the scope of who God is and how Jesus is the Word.

I think we as Christians really long for quality Christian movies that are biblically sound. You can’t really expect that very often when the people producing these movies have to put it through Hollywood’s lens. While the movie may somewhat represent the Word, it will not do so in a seamless manner. You can take the recent Exodus and Noah movies as good examples where the foundation is slightly off. There are noteworthy exceptions such as the Passion of the Christ that do an outstanding job of making a biblically sound movie. Another example would be The Bible tv series, which is on Netflix now, that also did a wonderful job. We desire wholesome movies like this. However, let’s not be blind to the wolves in sheep’s clothing when they reveal themselves to us. Be on guard to rebuke false teachings.

1. Your first sentence makes me think “Is Genesis History” is the movie you’re talking about. I’ve already done extensive research on THE SHACK and the author is a universalist, and yes, it is so unsound biblically that it makes me wretch. You’ve got it right.

Oh sorry for the confusion my friend haha. It’s hard to fathom how people arrive at the conclusion of universalism. Ridiculous!

1. How can you say it’s hard to fathom how they arrive at universalism? The author wrote a second book and admitted it openly, he is a universalist which was obvious in the Shack

I just meant that from the Bible I don’t see how they formulate that principle. Meaning it has to be completely made up of course.

We agree my friend! Be on the lookout for a powerful post tomorrow on slavery in the Bible

2. dray0308 says:

Reblogged this on Dream Big, Dream Often and commented:
    This is Th3 Platform!

3. LydiaA1614 says:

Okay, you were talking about The Shack! I read the book just to see what all the “fuss” was about (positive and negative). I read it with an open mind and saw it as a good story….as long as you take out any reference to God, Christianity, Faith, etc. It was a man dealing with his grief while in a coma from an accident. I have no plans to see the movie even though it has a solid cast.

4. Thank you for this excellent review, Lawson.
    That first sentence did cause me slight confusion as well. The Shack pic, didn’t load fully on my screen. So many people have fallen into the devil’s trap with this movie. 😦

So many traps these days!

1. Oh yes! And the ones people fall in, are because they have not grounded themselves in the Word. “Oh, it makes me feel good about God, therefore it’s good.” WRONG!

5. Rebecca says:

Ugh, I have friends who were saying all Christians should see this movie to support “Christian” topics in film making. I don’t support it because Thomas and I have known that it has some very horrible theology in it. We did go see “Is Genesis History” at our local theatre though! It wasn’t anything I didn’t already know, but great for beginners looking to learn more about Creation and Genesis. 🙂 I hope you are well, dear!

Thank you Rebecca. I’m doing well just super busy with school! I will have more free time to chat and stuff this summer. Take care 😊

1. Rebecca says:

Awesome! I can’t wait for summer. The weather here is already getting warm, I drove with the windows down the other day and it reminded me of wheat harvest season at home! 😍

That’s wonderful! We are in the 80s now! My favorite 😊

6. Jane Osuagwu says:

Though I’ve not seen the movie,it’s a subtle tactic the devil uses to make people remain comfortable in church with no salvation.It certainly contradicts everything about Jesus being the only way,since we have many ways out there.

Amen! He is the only way