Is All Sin Equal?

on

Christians today have a basic understanding of sin; however we need to dig deeper. Not for the sake of our faith or salvation, but to truly know other aspects that aren’t usually mentioned. You have most likely seen these two verses:

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

From just a glance, it would seem that all sin is equal. What these verses are actually saying is all SINNERS are equal in that everyone has sinned in some way. The consequences for any sin is eternal death unless you accept Jesus as your Savior. But what about the degree of punishment in eternal death? Is it consistent between a non-believer that let’s say was a liar sometimes and a non-believer that killed 10 people? From this perspective, I believe sins are not equal.

There are quite a few examples I can point to that Jesus said himself. He had harsher words for some groups of people compared to others. Take a look at this example:

Matthew 11: 24 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades. For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”

This a very strong condemnation especially given the fact that the Lord completely decimated Sodom and Gomorrah. I am amazed at the authority in this excerpt. Capernaum will suffer more than the vile people of Sodom because God revealed His glory to them in the form of miracles, which makes it very easy to believe Jesus as the Savior, and yet they still rejected him.

I would like to cite a couple of examples from Billy Graham that will solidify my claim of how the degree of punishment for sins varies:

When Jesus spoke of his second coming and judgment, he warned that among those deserving punishment some would “be beaten with many blows” and others “with few blows” (Luke 12:47-48). He also reserved His most fierce denunciations for the pride and unbelief of the religious leaders, not the sexually immoral (Matthew 23:13-36).

In the Old Testament, God applied different penalties to different sins, suggesting variations in the seriousness of some sins. A thief paid restitution; an occult practitioner was cut off from Israel; one who committed adultery or a homosexual act or cursed his parents was put to death (see Exodus, chapter 22 and Leviticus, chapter 20).

The idea is consistent within the timeline of the Bible. This also means that our justice system is in concordance with the degrees of punishment for certain sins or crimes in terms of what warrants probation, fines, prison, or the death penalty. This is not to tell non-believers that their time in hell won’t be as bad if they behave better. Hell is still hell. The weeping and gnashing of teeth shall remain as a defining aspect of it for all who reject Jesus as their Savior.

1. Reblogged this on Exposing Modern Mugwumps and commented:
    Although I’ve never been a fan of Billy Graham, the scriptures are true.

1. th3platform says:

This is actually the first time I have used his material. I definitely do not consider myself an acolyte of his. I follow his son Franklin on facebook and saw him at the Mobile, Al Trump rally. He seems like a good man although I don’t know much. Thank you for the reblog and HNY!

2. So true! I my opinion, Some sins are in our minds, so they are on a different level than sins which impact others, murder, rape , etc,
    And pride was the first sin- when Lucifer determined to become equal with God. His punishment was being cast out of heaven- eternal separation from God, with no hope of repentance. Also, eventually he will cast into the lake of fire.

1. th3platform says:

That’s a very good point. Lucifer knew God more than any of us and still chose to rebel. That would be a good reason why he had no hope of redemption!

3. You say in your post, “all SINNERS are equal in that everyone has sinned”. True, Romans 3:23 and “the consequences for any sin is eternal death.” True again, Romans 6:23. So if you are saved, why would you ever consider whether the punishment in hell for some sins is different from punishment for other sins? Your post is about non-believers. Why? Unless you’re questioning whether you are truly saved, such a discussion is moot. And, in my opinion, distracts from our focus as believers. If you’re a Christian, we’re supposed to be thinking about things above, not things on the earth (or in hell) Ephesians 3:1-4. I don’t see any redeeming spiritual value in such a discussion as this at all.

1. th3platform says:

Thanks for the comment sir. I do not base my blog or life around things with zero spiritual value. I was just answering a question that some people might not know. If you take a look at my other posts though you will see they contain powerful spiritual values.

1. Did someone ask you that specific question or were you taking it upon yourself to assume other believers (not non -believers) might wonder about degrees of punishment in hell?

2. th3platform says:

Not recently but in conversations before yes. Furthermore, my blog is not just an echo-chamber for believers. I try to reach out to those who are lost: not saying this post was meant to reach out to non-believers. You are making up a narrative that this post is offensive. There is nothing wrong with contemplating what happens to non-believers based on their actions. In fact, learning more about the consequences of unbelief is all the more reason why we need Jesus. Like I said, this is not a standard post of mine. Virtually all of my other theological posts are clearly of great spiritual value. With the exception of my post: A Multi Religious Q/A

3. “all of my other theological posts are clearly of great spiritual value.”–according to whom? Aren’t we, as believers writing, tasked with leaving the value of our writing up to God and our readers?
        I did not write or imply your post is “offensive”.
        Let’s keep this dialogue going. I haven’t had a dialogue with anyone about my thoughts on theology or religion in some time.

4. th3platform says:

I’m all for the dialogue sir. That’s not to sound braggadocios when I say my posts are spiritually valuable, but that from everyone Christian I get feedback from enjoys them greatly. I try to research each topic using sources I trust: see at the bottom of the page. I’m not basing it on my own analysis of my writing alone.

5. And, why won’t you include an avatar with your posts? Or include us your name in your “About” page or your profile, like most other bloggers I read do. I usually shy away from anonymous bloggers.

6. th3platform says:

My political views, conservatism, can be discriminated against by people in authority that may disagree and therefore possible not accept me into the professional schools I’m applying to. Also I will most likely be affiliated with the military very soon.

2. th3platform says:

Sorry if you took any offense sir.

4. Thanks. Good luck in school or the service. Stay out of the Northeast It’s a haven for liberalism

1. th3platform says:

Very true. Thank you sir.

5. praise2eloi says:

I totally agree. I have long said a “sin is a sin,” period. Whether a kid steals a piece of bubble gum, or a man commits murder, it is all the same in the eyes of God and all are sentenced to death as a result. Yet the Bible clearly shows there are separate degrees of punishment, as I have often used the scripture you have mentioned. Yet most think of sin only as an action, often with consequences for the sinner, such as a fine or incarceration. But as with any action there is an equal reaction. In the case of sin the common reaction is pain; physical, mental and spiritual pain we cause ourselves and others. This is what Christ bore on the cross; the reason “the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split” (Matt 27.52; NIV).

Amen! Great comment to add supporting evidence. Welcome to Th3 Platform community.