The Weed Dilemma

It is an unprecedented time we live in when it comes to drugs. The usage is more prevalent in this country than ever before. In particular, one important aspect is the movement towards legalization of marijuana nationwide. We already have a few states that approve of recreational use and more that approve of medicinal use. It is difficult to weigh the positives and negatives in search of a conclusive legislative decision. I’m here to show both sides and offer my own perspective on whether or not this should be legal

The number one benefit of cannabis is its medicinal usage. The drug has given relief to patients suffering from pain, arthritis, terminal illnesses, and mental disorders. It is also reportedly useful for people suffering withdrawals from other substances such as alcohol and opiates. From a legal perspective, the benefit of legalizing recreational usage would drastically reduce the amount of people in prison. According to a report from the Washington Post, there are more people in prison for possessing marijuana than there are for all violent crime combined. That would save the federal government quite a bit of money. The other economic aspect would be the revenue produced. If recreational use was legal nationwide, the country would rake in about 50 billion dollars a year from a taxed and regulated weed industry.

These are very significant points made in favor of legalization, but there are still major problems to address. There are health benefits associated with cannabis but there are also serious side effects. Think of how medicinal weed is analogous chemotherapy. You only use it when necessary because it has so many terrible side effects. The same toxins and carcinogens produced from cigarettes are also present in marijuana. Tar build up in the lungs is much worse because weed smoke is inhaled for longer and in higher concentrations. Cognitive and memory function in adolescent brains is negatively impacted. A study cited on a government website on drug abuse said quote:

A large longitudinal study in New Zealand found that persistent marijuana use disorder with frequent use starting in adolescence was associated with a loss of an average of 6 or up to 8 IQ points measured in mid-adulthood.42 Significantly, in that study, those who used marijuana heavily as teenagers and quit using as adults did not recover the lost IQ points.

Since the majority of recreational users are young adults under 25, you have to question whether or not it is ethical to pass legislation that you know impairs young adults permanently. Then there is the “gate way drug” theory. From a biological aspect, weed does not lead to harder substances like cocaine, heroin, etc. However the environmental factors can and do lead to a much deadlier addiction. Here is another example:

It is important to note that other factors besides biological mechanisms, such as a person’s social environment, are also critical in a person’s risk for drug use. An alternative to the gateway-drug hypothesis is that people who are more vulnerable to drug-taking are simply more likely to start with readily available substances like marijuana, tobacco, or alcohol, and their subsequent social interactions with other substance users increases their chances of trying other drugs. Further research is needed to explore this question.

Think about it in terms of the foot-in-the-door theory. If you are okay with alcohol, cigarettes, and weed, it wouldn’t take a significant amount of peer pressure to get you to say yes to harder drugs. A small yes leads to a larger yes.

For my personal opinion, I think medicinal use should be legalized nationwide. This comes with the need for serious oversight of medical professionals. Prescription pain killers are already abused enough in terms of people obtaining them when they do not need them. If we legalize it, we must take the necessary steps to prevent abuse of pain killers AND medicinal weed. As for recreational use, I am conflicted. If it were up to me, we wouldn’t have God forsaken cigarettes or weed. I’m a vigorous opponent of anything that is bad for your health. If I was ever to approve of recreational use, people would need to be at least 25 to purchase it. Couple that legalization with a serious increase on the crackdown of more deadly illicit drugs like heroin and cocaine to prevent weed from becoming a gateway drug. That must include securing the border to stop the flow of nasty drugs. In short, smoking marijuana is very similar to cigarettes; therefore from a legislative perspective it can be legal but it requires a much more significant degree of oversight and enforcement compared to cigarettes.

1. I agree that it should be legal for medicinal purposes.
    Also, I lean twards the legal recreational use, but am conflicted. Alcohol causes so many deaths per year, due to drunk driving, and it’s horrible side effects. Just like cigarettes kill so many each year, from their side effects, yet they’re legal. Hmmmm
    I do agree with the argument that legalizing marijuana would empty the prisons, and allow more time, money and effort to catching harder criminals.
    So, there’s my dilemma too.

2. HandbagMafia says:

I think as long as cigarettes and alcohol are legal, marijuana should be. People should be allowed to make their own educated decisions as adults, from whatever the legal age of adulthood is. I think policing this is a waste of time and resources and imprisoning people for this (as an Aussie) is utterly mind-blowing. Non-violent personal use gets you into jail? How does that benefit anyone at all??

1. th3platform says:

You make a great point and thank you for your comment. I agree but it’s just an unfortunate situation when you see people poison themselves with cigarettes or marijuana. It’s their decision though legal or not.

3. Ash says:

I am not 100% sure. But I have been told that weed is not addictive. That said, it could be a better alternative to other drugs and alcohol. Because at least when a user learns that it is a life-wrecker… they can stop using it and get back their lives. The only way to treat alcoholism is taking more alcohol… So maybe recreational use, since it’s not addictive… is a good move. Because all other substances so far are addictive

1. th3platform says:

I cited the same evidence that weed is not addictive to the brain or a gateway drug in the brain but that it leads to harder substances through the foot-in-the-door theory where the environment of drug use leads to harder substances.

1. Ash says:

Hmmm… that is a possible danger… I guess it leaves me undecided. It’s a tough call

4. Hi, I have some experience on this topic. My wife and I are followers of Jesus and we also have a license to grow. He gave us all the herbs of the Earth to use, but no matter what you do or where you are… Just don’t let that old serpent deceive you. Jesus knew that the Law makers, the pharisees and the scribes were cold and were of the father of all lies. Look into the history of the suppression of this plant and you will see many snakes lying about it. I am tired of so many lies in the world today. I keep reading the Bible and it does confirm that reality and we must face that. Humanists that are funneling out from the University of Chicago and they all support a doctrine that is set on killing Christianity in the Education System to reach what we failed to reach. Look at the Humanist Manifesto that Government Officials are signing in order to introduce a “new faith” in public schools. Here is one quote from Wikipedia; “Humanist Manifesto” you might find interesting and there are many more:
    Expanding upon the role the public education establishment should play to bring about the goals described in the Humanist Manifesto II, John Dunphy wrote: “I am convinced that the battle for humankind’s future must be waged and won in the public school classroom by teachers that correctly perceive their role as proselytizers of a new faith: a religion of humanity that recognizes and respects the spark of what theologians call divinity in every human being…The classroom must and will become an arena of conflict between the old and new — the rotting corpse of Christianity, together with all its adjacent evils and misery, and the new faith of humanism, resplendent with the promise of a world in which the never-realized Christian ideal of ‘love thy neighbor’ will finally be achieved.”
    They are literally waging war on Christianity and they are part of the CFI, which Peter Kurtz founded, but then was forced out by the board. He resigned because the new leadership only displayed “angry atheism”.

1. I meant to put in quotation; “failed to reach” because I was referring to the John Dunphy quote.

I do not believe we have failed. I believe we are almost there.

2. th3platform says:

Thank you for your comment sir. I do not hold you in contempt for your use of marijuana. Indeed He gave us all the herbs including barley to make beer and grapes to ferment wine. That does not mean that we have a license to get drunk because the Lord causes be drunk in the Spirit and not the wine. The same logic applies to other substances. Weed is Biblical moral for medicinal purposes only in my opinion. Just like the use of cough syrup containing hydrocodone is only moral to use if you are sick, not to get high. Do you see the difference sir?

1. You are exactly right. Practice discernment by asking the Holy Spirit and you will never be lead astray.
        Did you take a short moment to look into the attack on Christianity in our Public Schools? I have been exposing a Harvard professor who is spreading Anti Christ messages as a Humanist, but there are not many people willing to rebuke snakes these days. I find myself alone in that effort, while these guys are teaching my daughters filth in schools. I am a veteran and I love God and I believe He would want us to see past this deception together. Please help in exposing the Serpent. Thank you.

2. th3platform says:

It has been that way for a long time now sadly. The Leftist radicals seek to move from freedom of religion to freedom FROM religion. Their judgment for poisoning our children will come in due time.

3. It is very sad. Have you ever heard of MK Ultra?

4. th3platform says:

No sir I haven’t.

5. th3platform says:

That is quite a scary program.

5. This was interesting. I appreciate you bringing it up. I personally believe it should be legal, if nothing else, for medicine for sure.

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

6. dray0308 says:

Reblogged this on Dream Big, Dream Often and commented:
    This is Th3 Platform!!

7. I know several people who have MS that yet a huge relief from pain. Some are taking it legally seems me are not. I am not sure if the marijuana with the THC removed still has the same effect. But I know it is helpful those who use it.

Thank you ma’am for citing another benefit!

1. apunkwithms says:

I second this benefit, MSER here!

8. Kate says:

As a wife to some one who sufferes from chronic pain, ptsd, and tbi I have seen the side effects of the prescribed meds and they are not good. I believe that it should be legal for medicinal purposes. My husband would benefit greatly instead of the aforementioned drugs. As to it being legal for recreational, I’m conflicted as well.

Thank you for adding your personal experience to the conversation! I agree with you ma’am.

9. Wick Burner says:

Hi, I’m an advocate for full legalisation, and just wanted to say that, while I don’t necessarily agree with all the elements of your assessment, you do make some good points worthy of consideration when making decisions of this nature.
    The only thing I take particular exception to is your characterisation of cannabis smoking as equivalent to tobacco cigarette smoking – the physiological effects of the two are very different (cannabis opens up bronchial passages, tobacco closes them down, etc.). The only real similarity is the presence of ‘burnt matter’ in the smoke, which may well be a health issue.
    Further to that, many cannabis ‘smokers’ now ‘vape’, where no burning occurs; and it is also possible to consume cannabis by eating it/administering cannabis oil orally.
    Having said all that, I do concur with the need to restrict ‘full-blown’ acess for adolescents and even younger adults (I think 21 should be an OK age for people to commence use, but it would be difficult to ‘police’ in an effective, reasonable manner…).
    Cheers!

Thank you for the comment! So from what I read, it’s all about the by products produced from the combustion that form tar in the lungs in both cigarettes and cannabis. For vaping, while there is no combustion, the chemicals it contains are shown to be carcinogens. So with full blown legislation, I would prefer the most pure consumption possible: oil is a good option. As for policing it with adolescents, drug tests should be standard for every single institution making it impossible for an adolescent to work if he or she breaks this law. That sounds like a simple fix to me.

10. Should be legal, both medicinal and recreational. Period. Just my opinion, of course.

Which you are of course entitled to! I would completely agree except for the gateway theory I mentioned.

1. I’ve never ascribed to the gateway theory. Smoking pot does not automatically lead to more severe drugs or addictions. I see that theory as nothing more than fear mongering, puritanical propaganda. Alcohol is far more destructive to oneself and others than marijuana ever will be, yet it’s readily available and legal.

Alcohol is definitely more destructive than weed alone. From what I researched, weed is not a gateway drug in a biological sense. It’s the environment that you place yourself in where people are much more willing to try harder drugs. This isn’t the case with everyone of course and if you are able to keep yourself limited to just weed then I’m content!

11. michelle213norton says:

The unfortunate reality is that it’s all about money. Law enforcement and privatized prisons make too much money to cut off this cash cow (these prisons actually have a clause that will guarantee that the state keep them filled to a certain capacity no matter what the violations!) On the other side, the drug empires stand to lose millions. You must remember that smoking is isn’t the only way to take it. There are multiple ways to consume it that have no (or very few) possible side effects. My only objection is marketing food or candy products containing marijuana.

Thank you for the comment ma’am. Very good point about the prison system. For most people, they smoke it if it is recreational. Aside from my faith, my main objection is the gateway theory.

1. michelle213norton says:

My real life experience is that theory is way off base. If there is any small truth to it, it is as true or more so with alcohol and cigarettes. As a matter of fact, if you do the research there is a consensus that legal prescription drugs are the most prevalent gate-way out there today.

I understand. I’m just basing it off of what I’ve seen and research. Almost all hard drug users start with alcohol and weed. . You are right that prescription drugs are the biggest problem but I posted on this instead because of the legalization movement. I would say weed would be second though.

3. michelle213norton says:

I think that was the case at one point, but now it’s very clear it is no longer. I had a conversation with a social worker recently and spoke of my marijuana consumption in the past (it’s been years!) She very quickly said that was of no concern to her. Her clients all (with a few notable exceptions) got hooked to the hard stuff by way of legal opiates. It truly is a scourge!! Also, I think the fact that alcohol is much more damaging and yet legal is a problem. It doesn’t even have any medicinal value!! My fav bumper sticker reads “God made pot, Man made beer, Who do you trust?”

The legal opiates are a much much bigger problem but I still stand by what I have seen with the environmental aspect of marijuana being a gateway that I mentioned in the final part of my post.

12. Bonsai says:

We are believers– in both God and the natural medicinal benefits of weed. My husband has debilitating arthritis. He went from working 70 hours a week to zero because his arthritis was killing him as a factory manger pounding the concrete floors. He is a legal user of canibis. He also uses cherry pills every day. Between these two things and activity management, he now only has to take a chemical med about every other day. it really can’t be wrong.

Always a pleasure to welcome other believers to my community! Thank you dearly for sharing your personal experience to show the need for medicinal usage to be nationwide. I pray he is able to continue working hard!

13. I like how you presented your data and opinions while defending your position. I agree with you. I am conflicted on its legalization. There are pros and cons. Great post!

Thanks for the comment ma’am. Pleased to have you as a member of my community! It truly is a dilemma.

14. As fully grown adults, choosing to smoke a plant that has zero deaths attributed to its existence should be entirely subjective and nothing to do with the government or the law. Remembering that the law is designed to punish people for doing things that the government doesn’t want us to do, but has no problem with us doing things that for sure cause early death and an enormous financial strain due to rising demands of the medical industry trying to cope with preventable illness. What a shame. Great post and I look forward to reading more from you!
    Nat xx

Thank you ma’am! Welcome to the community. Please be sure to visit the most popular tab.

15. apunkwithms says:

Money greedy bastards is why it isn’t legal. I personally am for legalization across the board. It would help so many people.

Thank you for your input! I agree but I do want it to be strictly regulated. Be sure to check out the most popular tab. Have a great day!

16. Da_weed says:

Hey! I personally suffer from social anxiety and cannabis has done me wonders. Not to mention the fact it helped me deal with my parents divorce and my dropping out of school

Welcome to Th3 Platform my friend. Thank you for adding your personal experience to the conversation. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it for simply emotional distress or having tough times in life. It’s a temporary pleasure of the flesh: it’s a cheap substitute to long lasting comfort you can find in good friends, family, and most importantly through a spiritual life. I would recommend cracking a Bible open and prayer over weed any day compared to the seeking the temporal world. Nevertheless, to each his own. I pray that you have better days ahead. Feel free to check out some of my theological posts in the most popular tab!

1. Da_weed says:

That’s true! Consuming cannabis doesn’t fix your real life problems. You must fix your real life problems. Noone does it for you. Also, i think everyone finds their inspiration somewhere, for some its the bible, for others its cannabis. Use whatever works best for you right ? 😉

Well from my perspective, there is only one place to find everlasting truth, joy, and life. I think you should try the Bible 🙂

3. Da_weed says:

Maybe 🤗 but im not a strong believer in religion all together. This could just be my millennial POV 😂

Haha well that can change! I’m a millennial as well. 22 year old senior in college as a biology major and I still believe in the Word of God despite the rejection of it by the scientific community. I’m not big on “religion” myself either. When I say religion though, I mean the artificial hierarchy of religion that is man-made and flawed. I focus more on my relationship with Jesus rather than the customs of church life.

While I don’t necessarily support recreational use personally, I respect your decision man. Just stick with the weed and don’t try anything harder.