Religion Weakens The Relationship

I want to start off by giving the biggest shout out to Coastal Church in Daphne, Alabama for not only touching my heart, but countless others. This non-denominational church stands for the fundamentals of the Bible and the ways of Jesus. Because they proactively follow God, the church has grown from 3 members to over 2,000 in just 5 years. I would encourage all of you to visit their website and watch Pastor Chad preach online at coastalchurch.tv. Although I am blessed to be a part of a wonderful church, I feel as though it is difficult for people to find a church that comes close in comparison. I feel sorrow for the fact that there are many problems with a wide variety of churches today. My prayer is that one day there will be solidarity in the fundamentals of the Gospel. I want to discuss some of these issues.

I want to start with the most extreme problem churches. Many people have heard of Westboro Baptist Church. Unbiblical hatred spews from this congregation towards mainly homosexuals. They go around the country holding up signs and shouting that God hates sinners. It’s painful to see these people give Christianity a bad reputation among non-believers and believers alike. The message of this hateful church is incomplete. The Lord hates the sins but not the people. The Lord seeks to save people not condemn them. Unfortunately, many people have probably been lost to the evil one because these hateful messages have shunned people that could be saved. If the Lord hated us, He wouldn’t have given us the gift of salvation by sacrificing His Son Jesus. Here’s a verse to remember his love for us by:

1 John 1:8-9 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Most churches aren’t as blatantly hateful as Westboro Baptist, but there are still problems to deal with. Many churches have rules that either do not stem from the Bible or are misinterpretations of the Bible. If you personally hold convictions about certain things that you feel lead you astray, then by all means, do what is necessary. However to preach to congregations your cookie cutter version consisting of additional unbiblical rules of how the church should act is wrong. Nowhere does it say that women can’t wear pants, makeup, or use any other beauty products. They claim these are means of maintaining “modesty” in the eyes of God. Obviously I’m not condoning excessively provocative clothing in the church, but normal everyday clothes are fine. It’s not the responsibility of women to dress excessively modest for men to be able to stifle themselves and deny the flesh. Women should be able to dress beautifully and classy. Another example is the use of instruments when worshipping God. Some churches consider it a sin, however, it is purely a matter of preference. Singing hymns or rocking out for Jesus is praise regardless. The consumption of alcohol is not a sin. Drunkenness is a sin. The Lord commands us to be drunk in the Holy Spirit and not in the wine. I touched briefly on some of the unbiblical practices of the Catholic Church as well in “Do Not Be Deceived Part 2.” There are countless other examples. People that abide by these rules often present prejudice and even anger towards other Christians or non-believers that don’t follow the same rules. If we project hate and disgust to others, how will we win people to Jesus and expand the margin of defeat of the evil one?

The next problem that I see in many churches is that feeling that it’s dead. Just to give an example, when I was dating this one girl, I went to church with her on a Sunday morning. After the pastor had called for a time to repent and pray to be saved, no one came forward. As the service was about to end he said, “Guys, we are doing a great job with worship and preaching, I need you all to help step it up and get people saved.” This was a slight paraphrasing, but the fact that he had to ask the congregation for an odd request like that is shocking to me. Compared to my church, they had a spark and we have a wildfire of passion. This is due to a complacent nature of the leadership and congregation of many churches. Church should never be boring, but unfortunately for some people it truly is. The message has to be engaging and powerful and that’s possible with the help of the Holy Spirit. However, all too often people are going through the motions by just paying their tithes, listening to a message and just going home without a change of heart and edification. How are we to win people to Jesus if there isn’t a proactive approach to reaching out to communities, church members inviting friends, among other things? The book of Acts has a passage that my church is modeled after saying:

Acts 2:38-47   38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. 40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. 41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. 42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. 44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common; 45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. 46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

The commonly used phrase of “it’s a relationship not a religion” is abundantly true. I’ve shown examples of how hatred, unbiblical rules and standards, and a lack of passion can chain us down and hinder our growth in God. The Lord is the judge, not people. We are the defendants. Jesus is our lawyer who proves us innocent before God through salvation. Break free from the bondage of religion. It is of man, not God. As a child of God, walk hand in hand in your relationship with The Almighty as He leads you through life.

1. Love. Love. Love!! This one I will definitely re-blog!!
    smh at Westboro, I don’t understand them at ALL. Then they started on military funerals??
    I also appreciate the title!!

1. th3platform says:

Thank you so much!!

1. You’re welcome! I think I scheduled it for Wed.

2. May I ask where you got that picture from, please ?
    I am into painting and would love to see the image full screen.

contact@sentientchristian.com

Good morning sir and thank you for the comment. It was painted by Greg Olsen. I searched “walking hand in hand with God” and you can see the image at the top of the results. Have a great day!

3. hoojewale says:

I got this post from ‘purpleslobinrecovery’, a blog I follow. You wish churches will teach the same biblical truth; right? Unfortunately it won’t happen. The god of this world works 25hrs a day recruiting highly placed people from all walks of life to achieve the frutification of his satanic seeds. But there’s something we can do about it certainly. Your posts are targeted, by God, to reach certain people (I pray they’re in the millions). My posts and other wholly scripturally based posts and especially good and very well pastored churches will reinvigorate and rejuvenate the ekklesia. To this post I heartily say, “AMEN!!!”

Thank you for the resounding Amen sir. God bless you. I know it would be hard to have a very large impact on the current state of churches today because they are so entrenched in their status quo lifestyle. However, I’ll continue to try and help as many as possible!

4. jesuschristprovenright says:

I hope you can find time to read this https://jesuschristprovenright.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/theproof/

1. th3platform says:

Thank you for the link. I really appreciate it. I read through about the first half of it for now. Wonderful post. I will continue the remainder soon!

1. jesuschristprovenright says:

Thank you ! I spent a lot of work on it and it has made me a lot of enemies! But the fact is Christ did not give anyone the authority to use anything but his words as a source, and nobody seems to have any idea! If they did those other books would not exist alongside him and all the horrible theology that exists would have never came about.

2. th3platform says:

So very true. I count myself immensely blessed to be apart of a genuine church that follows the principles of the Word to the best of their abilities to lead people to Jesus.

3. jesuschristprovenright says:

where is this? : )

4. jesuschristprovenright says:

I would like to see a lot of these churches converted to communes for growing food while also providing more space for families. Maybe I will work on this at some point.

2. th3platform says:

My church is in Alabama! The website is coastalchurch.tv and you can watch my pastors sermons online. So very powerful and my church has started a food bank actually 😊

1. jesuschristprovenright says:

I say this with love, but don’t be afraid to rethink the traditional model and to start preparing for climate change impacts! This is why I mention communes and creating community for such activities. If I had a church I would renovate it into communal housing for the congregation and begin localizing food production. I am quite certain we will begin seeing economic impacts in the near future. I am an avid reader of the science and Christ was right. There must always be humble balance or we will discard the natural balance God has given us here on earth. It really pains me to see no churches seem to be considering this and being more forward thinking on these issues. Thank you for the website. I should have remembered it from the post actually.

5. If you were about the Truth, you would not post this False Image of YAH.
    Rev. 1: 8 thru 15
    Peace.

1. th3platform says:

If you are referring to the cover image I used for this post, I don’t see how you find it offensive or false. We are children of God. We are the child in the picture. By placing our faith in Him we walk hand in hand with him as He leads us. He is the Father. We do have a relationship with the Lord as believers. The fact that the child is looking away refers to the fact that we are distracted at times by religion and other things. Hope this clarifies the purpose of this image. I do not perpetrate lies. God bless.

1. If we say, we are believers in Yahsua, if we say, we are Christians, and if we say, the Holy Scripture is the word of the God of Israel, then we are commanded by the scriptures, to teach he truth and live by the truth. (Jesus)
        For over 2,000 years the people of the earth have been living under the False images of Christ and the heavenly Angels. The scripture I gave you in Rev.1:8 thru 15 you ignored, you made No! reference to it at all. So I am asking you why? when it had to be important to our Lord and Savior for him to tell John to write everything down. Rev. 1:19. I strongly believe that these false images of the God of Israel is at the root of Racism throughout the earth, especially here in America. Peace Be Unto You.

2. th3platform says:

I have read the description sir. With all due respect though, I am not perpetrating a false depiction of God. It’s an image I used with no ill intent. No one truly knows what Jesus looks like. The depiction I use attempts to make an image of Jesus ON EARTH. Jesus did not have white hair, blazing eyes, bronze feet or a voice like rushing water ON EARTH. The depiction in revelation is what Jesus looks like IN HEAVEN. Hope that clarifies to you. I am not a deceiver. I am a child of God despite your discrepancies with my depiction.

6. Sir, if what John saw and was told to write down came from I

1. th3platform says:

Sir with respect, I think you are taking this picture too literally and the wrong way. This is an attempt to depict the way Jesus looked on earth. It is not meant to take away from the description of what Jesus looks like in Revelation in heaven.

1. You cannot and I repeat, cannot make Jesus look like what you or anyone else want Jesus to look like; you are either going to believe in the Holy Scripture or you are not. you cannot attempt to depict the way Jesus looked when he was here on the earth; any image other than the image Jesus revealed to Saint John, would be a lie and deception. Stop following your own imagination!

7. remember2pray says:

“Religion” is the worst thing that has ever happened to Christianity… It creates rules of its own, facilitates a spirit of “better than thou” and pushes non-believers away… Thank you for the post, it was an encouraging read.

1. th3platform says:

You are welcome! Very true.

8. On point! Excellent read and truly convicting. I must share. Thank you, brother, for allowing the Spirit to guide your words.

1. th3platform says:

It is my pleasure to share powerful messages! Feel free to spread the word to as many people possible!

Welcome to the platform friend