Once Saved Always Saved?

This has been the biggest struggle I’ve faced and tried to come to terms with. I’ve had many doubts while researching this topic. Nevertheless, I have finally realized that the answer to this question is a resounding yes. The one time decision you make to repent of your sins and trust in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior is the single most important decision in your life. Because He paid the price of sin for us through life, death, and resurrection, we can accept the gift of salvation and be born again. Many people prior to accepting this gift are far from God and face many past and present struggles such as addiction, anger, lust, among other sins. Once you are saved, the penalty of these sins goes away but the guilt and torment doesn’t subside right away. Bad habits that persist over many years can take a while to get rid of. Some might think that because they haven’t completely changed their behavior that they might lose their salvation. I’m going to explain why that’s not the case and prove eternal security is a key element of salvation.

First, I want to dispel the argument against eternal security. There are verses in the New Testament that could appear to question eternal security. This is because they are taken out of context and a tool used by the evil one to create confusion leading to doubt. There are many examples but I will stick with two that affected me the most. Here are two verses in Hebrews:

Hebrews 6:4-6 -“It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.”

Hebrews 10:26-31 -If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay,’ and again, ‘The Lord will judge his people. It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”

These verses are discussing the consequences of committing apostasy. If you were once saved and at some point in your life you have a change of heart and choose to reject Christ as your Savior then you will go to hell. Not very many people commit true apostasy but they do backslide and sin at times. Only a true rejection, usually verbal, can result in the loss of salvation. Does that mean you have a license to sin? Technically you do but the goal is that over time as you grow your faith, you will sin less and less while edifying yourself. There are also three major ways to contribute to this growth. Prayer directs the heart towards God. Reading Scripture directs the mind towards God. Lastly, worship directs your will towards God.

Now that we have addressed the argument against eternal security, let’s look at the countless examples that support it. The most widely recognized Bible verse is a perfect place to start. It sums up how to obtain salvation clearly. John 3:16 says:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Another powerful example is given by Paul in Ephesians 2:8-9:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast

Aside from these wonderful verses, many of the most important people in the Bible failed numerous times but were still counted as righteous through repentance and salvation. King David was described by God as a man after His own heart. However, David had a woman’s husband killed so he could marry her. He repented and was forgiven. Peter, counted as one of Jesus’ greatest disciples, denied he knew Jesus three times. The Lord still forgave him. Paul, the man who wrote two thirds of the New Testament was a persecutor and murderer of Christians and Jews. The Lord forgave him and used him to do many wonderful things. We all make mistakes, most of us daily, but we can come to God and repent and He will always forgive us. Rest assured knowing the Lord will never leave you nor forsake you even when you fail. As Christ followers, rejoice in his grace and mercy towards us and await to meet him in heaven.

1. I was agreeing with you up until you brought up the subject of apostasy.

I have read many writings (both contemporary and archaic) on the subject of the believers security for a number of decades, because I have at times struggled with assurance due to Arminian teachings I received when I was young.

I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible for a genuine believer to commit apostasy I would be more than happy to share scriptures with you which teach that.

Blessings,
    Theresa

1. th3platform says:

I welcome all resources of information. Some argue that apostates were usually never actually saved. I feel like it would be a rarity that a true believer would become an apostate but that it could very well happen. Please share the verses. God bless.

2. It might be Monday before I have a chance to do so.

Blessings,
    Theresa

3. Eri Hunt says:

Wonderful post ! I really enjoyed reading great insight.

1. th3platform says:

Thank you so much! Glad I could help!

1. Eri Hunt says:

Your welcome I am to.

2. th3platform says:

Throw me a follow to stay up to date with all my posts!

4. I too, believe that those referred to as apostates must have never been saved in the first place

When it comes to the subject of the believer’s security there are a number of lines of reasoning one could take in order to explain the belief that Christians shall never come into danger of losing the gift of salvation.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the type of life we receive when we are regenerated (born again)…when we become a child of God (one who is” looking unto Jesus as the author and finisher of his faith”, Hebrews 12:2). This life is eternal. The word “eternal” is so meaningful and precious.

“24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.” John 5:24-25

The child of god has passed from death to life, and the life they possess is everlasting. They “shall not” come into condemnation. These are powerful truths.

Another thing that comes to my mind are the types of works the Lord himself performs in the believer and on the believers behalf. Look at this:

“28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect? It is God that justifieth.”

Christians are known by a number of names or titles—believers”, “children of God”, and “sheep” are some of them.

In this passage they are referred to as “the called” (see verse 28) and “the elect” (see verse 33).

Now lets look at those works the Lord performs:

1) He foreknows.
    2) He predestinates.
    3) He calls.
    4) He justifies
    5) He glorifies

He doesn’t perform only one task. He performs them all. He glorifies. That is known as glorification. and means our “ultimate perfection”.

Many have this verse memorized:

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

Christians are those who have heard that “call”. Not only do they hear, but they answer, and call upon the Lord:

“8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

Since the Lord called them we also know that He has performed… shall perform all of those other works mentioned in Romans 8:29-30.

I know my comment is a lot to digest, but I hope it blesses who ever reads it. There is a wonderful 44 page booklet put out by Bogard Press titled “The Believer’s Security And The Impossibility Of Apostasy”. It is only 95 cents, but is so valuable.

Here is the link:

1. th3platform says:

Thank you for that. I’ll read in more detail later but those verses definitely confirm the security. God bless!

2. cloakedatheist says:

I’m an apostate who was once truly saved. I grew up in the church and felt like I was definitely saved by Grace. The implication that I was never saved at all is horrifying. If God predestines some of his creation for Hell, then that is some next-level cruelty that negates free will.

Free will has not be negated. I’m sorry to hear that and don’t understand.

2. I am curious about something.You call yourself “CLOAKEDATHEIST” It is my understanding that an atheist is someone who doesn’t believe God exists. How can a person believe that they were saved while also believing that God does not exist?

That’s an excellent question my dear!

4. cloakedatheist says:

Thank you! Most important post on this blog!

5. Today’s email with “Why we fall” was an invalid link. said OOps, page not found.
    I think this is the most well balanced explanation I’ve ever heard on this. Thank you!
    I’ve struggled with this many times over the years.

Thank you for the response and this is my most personal struggle that I’ve had in life. I’m working on “Why We Fall” right now! Will be posted shortly. Blessings.

6. hoojewale says:

Once I asked a pastor why salvation could be lost and he gave an extraneous, “Paul said, ‘For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world'” [2Ti 4:10] to disprove eternal security. Satan has truly plagued Christians with a catastrophic dearth of scriptural knowledge. It’s amazing that over 90% of Christians don’t see this awesome scriptural truism. They can’t even apprehend the aptitude of the John 3:16 you mentioned in this post. The only requirement is ‘believe’ on man’s part. On His Divine part is the gift of ‘eternal life’. The question is if what God gave is eternity of blissfulness (the only string attached being my belief in the finished work of the cross), and I sinned after I got truly born again and get sent to hell, it follows then that the Biblical salvation was fake (a four-one-nineing)!
    Thank God our God does not involve Himself in evil practices. Amen!

“But God demands righteousness”, they’ll always retort. Does the Bible not teach that Christ is our life and our righteousness (Colossians 3:4; 2Corinthians 5:21 & Philippians 3:9)? Jesus clothed us in His righteousness and as long as He is righteous so we are. His life is eternal. Christians, the mystical body of Christ, must adumbrate His eternity. One of my earliest posts, “WHY GO ARMINIANISTIC SOTERIOLOGY” (please do find time to read it) and another one, “MY SALVATION (what can happen to it?)”, (especially the first one) give thorough scriptural credence to this subject.

What many don’t know is that James Arminius, a 16th century theologian, was the one who taught the possible loss of salvation extensively. Also they don’t know that Arminius was influenced by older exponents: Desiderius Erasmus and Philipp Melanchthon, who were avowed Humanists. Humanism preaches and places man at the centre of creation. It extols man’s achievements (leaving out Jehovah), hence, its philosophical creep into scripture should not surprise us. Thank you, Th3platform, for broaching this topical issue.

1. th3platform says:

Thank you sir. One of the greatest doubts that plagues Christians and I have zero doubt now. Salvation is secure. That is an interesting background Arminius! I will go through your posts sir. God bless you.

1. hoojewale says:

Thanks a million and you’re most welcome.

2. hoojewale says:

“Why Go Arminianistic Soteriology” has over a hundred verses to support security of salvation.

7. Hello there! In a blessed season of prayer and fasting, pressing into His glorious word, the Lord has finally answered my questions on this very important matter. Please make time to read the first two parts He has led me to write on the matter to date (linked below). May the Lord give His people the spirit of wisdom and revelation and lead us to search the Scriptures like the Bereans and transcend the veil of deceit by the power of His Spirit indwelling us. Amen.
    Saving Faith is Present Tense and Active – Part 1: “I AM”

Saving Faith is Present Tense and Active – Part 2: Jesus’ Parable of the Sower

Hello Diana. Thank you for the comment! I do agree that people can fall away. I mentioned that in this post. Apostasy is a real thing.

8. Cloaked Atheist, I just read this comment that you made.

“Because, at the time, I felt like I was truly saved, considering I was a true believer back then.”

I also read some of the posts at your blog.

I do sympathize with the fact that so many years of your life were spent in an environment that put such an emphasis on strong feelings that it lead you to have doubts. I spent a number of years (from the time I was 12 or 13 until I was about 17, and a few years of my adult life, as well) in the same denomination.

Although there are many passages of scripture that I no longer interpret the way they do, I still have many fond memories, and I consider them to be my brothers and sisters in Christ.